Monday, May 25, 2015

Handmaid's Tale Part 2

The second issue that Margaret Atwood addresses in this Gilead society is the ideas that are being placed on women about their role in society. While this is an obvious issue, people overlook because of its simplicity. Throughout time, women have been viewed as homemakers. Women’s responsibilities have been to take care of the children, keep the house clean, and make meals for their families. Our society is starting to divert away from these traditional views, as women are become more prominent members of corporate American and politics. While I believe that women are still not seen as equals in our world, pretty soon I think that they will be and that is will be a significant part of history. I found an article that talks about twelve steps for women to be more respected in the workforce, a topic that is relatively new to our society.

In Atwood’s book, women have been “put back in their place” according to the Gildean government. Their main duties are to have children, clean and make food for men. Obviously, this is the main issue of the book because women have been working hard to be seen as equals to men and the new government saw this as the reason for society’s issues. Like other times in humanities’ history, a weaker group of people has been used as the scapegoats for issues that may have not been their fault. I think that this novel is taking about how women still are viewed as unequal and maybe even harmful to society if they were to leave their traditional habits of being homemakers. 


Article: http://elitedaily.com/women/women-work-place-12-ways-gain-keep-respect/624369/

1 comment:

  1. I agree that eventually women will be seen as equals, but I do not think that it will happen soon because of how hard it is for our society to deal with major changes like that.

    ReplyDelete